Importance of ETL in business Intelligence
One cannot miss out on data integration to develop an efficient business intelligence framework. It is one of the essential components that is used to combine data from multiple sources and integrate them into a common space in an organized manner. In today’s time, when there is neck-to-neck competition, even a small piece of information can be a game-changer for any business. Therefore, a business must use the right processes to integrate all its relevant data from different sources.
ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) is one such process that helps in extracting data from different academic sources, transform the data, and then finally load it into a data warehouse system. ETL Data Integration has helped small to large scale organizations to derive better insights from big data silos. The ETL process aid in maintaining the integrity of the data that helps an organization to make better and result-driving decisions.
Explaining the ETL Process
Step 1: Extract – The process begins by extracting the data from different source systems into a staging area where the data can be validated to ensure that the data is in the right format and not corrupted so that it can be moved to a data warehouse system. Loading the data directly into the warehouse system may damage it, and the rollback will be more difficult.
Step 2: Transform – In the second step of the ETL process, a set of rules is applied to the extracted data for converting it into a standard format. It may involve the following tasks:
- Filtering – loading only certain attributes of data
- Cleaning: filling the null values with the default ones
- Joining: combining multiple attributes into one
- Splitting: the splitting of a single attribute into many
Step 3: Load – This is the final step in which the transformed data is loaded into the data warehouse system. The loading of data is done frequently and also depends on the requirements of different systems.
The role of ETL tools when it comes to marketing
Data holds an important place in today’s marketing world. Many companies use data to enhance the efficiency of their extraction & distribution systems. You will be surprised to know how much data is available in the world that you can use to manage your business.
To take the complete benefit of the available data, we have marketing ETL tools that will help you in data aggregation. The tools will aid you in saving a lot of time that is involved in organizing the data. With the marketing ETL tools at your end, you can directly act on the information that the loaded data provides and thrive in the competitive business world.
How salesforce marketing cloud ETL boost your marketing strategies?
Moving your relevant data to the Salesforce platform will provide the following benefits to a business:
- Improves the quality of data: The conflicts and inequalities are resolved during the integration process that enhances the integrity of the data.
- Better insights: Breaking the data silos and organizing the data in a systematic order helps in driving better insights. Salesforce application contains vital details of your customers, and by integrating that data with other platforms, you can grab critical insights, trends, and patterns.
- Boost efficiency: With data integration ETL, you can easily integrate data from the applications you have taken on-board. This will help you in saving time involved in reporting and analyzing as you do not have to log into multiple systems to integrate data.
- Precise data analytics: Effective data integration helps you to see a more clear and big picture by enabling an array of reports and dashboards that can increase the pace of analytics and also provides you a competitive advantage.
Types of ETL tools:
- Open source ETL tools: These ready-made tools are easy to integrate with other systems. They are ideal for organizations that have restrictive infrastructure budgets. Owing to the collaborative nature of the open-source tools, they provide better accountability as well as flexibility.
- Batch processing ETL tools: The tools consolidate your data at the time when there is less competition for computing power.
- Cloud-based ETL tools: The tools can collect data from any cloud service, load into a data warehouse, and also optimizes data as per your data warehouse system. You can choose how often you want to fetch data as well as monitor your usage.
- Real-time ETL tools: the need for real-time availability of data is becoming a major issue in most of the companies. With real-time ETL tools, you can get instant updates on all your business activities. Regardless of volume, relevant records can be instantly moved to their right destinations.
Every size and type of business can get benefitted from ETL data integration. Having the relevant data in your hand at the right time will help you make fruitful decisions that will take your business to a platform where you can always have an eye on your competitors and stay ahead of them.